Homemade Fat-Free Whipped Cream - It can be done!!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I've been working hard to green up our family and one of the areas were I am excruciatingly ungreen is my consumption of canned fat-free whipped cream. Oh how I love it!!

But the can is not recyclable in our area. It's expensive, and it may lean toward the chemical side as far as food goes. As a chemical laden product, I still prefer it to cool whip (hands down!)

After perusing some homemade recipes at The Prudent Homemaker, I came across a link for fat-free whipped cream directions! No! Yes! Actually, it was a link to making whipped cream from evaporated milk.

But I only buy the fat-free evaporated milk, so we were on our way to creating fat-free whipped cream. I followed the directions: 1 cup evaporated milk, 1-2 tsp vanilla, and 1/4-1/2 cup powdered sugar, and whip like crazy.

To make it work, it's really important that you put the bowl and beaters in the freezer for 20-30 minutes before you start. You might as well put the evaporated milk in there too. ;) I kept mine in the fridge because I had already opened it to make pumpkin pie the night before.

And the results: Tasty, tasty, tasty! My favorite whipped cream. To be honest, I've always hated full-fat, real whipped cream. It always had a gross mouth feel for me. But this tasted excellent. The downside...it didn't stay whipped cream very long.....


Here is a picture of it moments after it was added to a piece of peach crisp (so good.) It just can't take the heat! It turns into a tasty melted ice cream sort of thing. This was my first time (ever!!) making whipped cream, so experimenting will occur and if I master the art of keeping fat-free whipped cream fluffy, and whipped, I'll let you know.

Otherwise, eat it cold. :) Oh yeah, and 1 cup of evaporated milk makes about 2 cups of whipped cream.

13 comments:

beenomom said...

Looks yummy!! I love how you keep looking for ways to improve your "green skills". I really need to get better at it too. My kids keep hounding me to recyle more, but I find that my lack of space becomes a problem. Any tips or suggestions?

Angela said...

Most recycling breaks down or can be squished down to take up space. If you take the tops of your milk cartons, you can smash down a lot of volume. We had to get the x-large recycling bin from our city and it's still overflowing.

Which to me...means we have a reducing problem. They always say there's a reason it's Reduce, reuse, then recycle. I'm obviously buying a lot of things instead of working on reducing the amount of packaging or items we bring in.

Best of luck in increasing your recycling efforts. :) Kids are great little green police, aren't they? lol

steph said...

You might want to add some geletin powder to it before you whip. Then once whipped, refrigerate. That might help it to keep its whip better. I'd start small (i.e.1 teaspoon first & go from there)

WCatDD said...

Ok. I'll admit it. When there's Cool Whip in the house, I will eat it by the spoonful randomly throughout the day. Your solution is much healthier.

Holly said...

I will have o try this...we too go through a lot of canned whip cream.

Holly @ 504 Main

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Canned whip cream is my weakness, too! This might be a silly question, but is it still fat-free after you add the powdered sugar? My mom makes whipped cream all the time, but she uses whipping cream--oh so yummy, and it stays whipped, but it's probably not fat free!!

Also, about the recycling comments above, you need to check with your area's rules. We are NOT allowed to smash our milk gallon jugs--which is a bummer because we go through 5 gallons a week and the recycling only comes every other week--10 gallon jugs take up a lot of space! They don't give us recycling containers, so we have 4-5 random containers and small trash cans that we use.

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Oh, and as an idea to help with recycling, we have a "desk" area in our kitchen that has space under it, theoretically for a chair I guess (though who would put a chair right there, I'll never know). But we keep 2 paper bags under there, one for paper, and one for plastic, cans, and jars. When they're full, they go out to the garage to be emptied into the bins.

Angela said...

Hi Jessica,

Actually, sugar has no fat, just empty calories. So the fat-free whipped cream is FAT free, but not calorie free. lol

We can smash our plastic and cans here- wahoo! If not, we'd have no room in our bins...ever. :)

Rachel @ Surviving The Stores said...

I love it!!

I have so many cans of evaporated milk in my pantry, so this is perfect! Thanks for sharing. :)

Loralee and the gang... said...

This looks delicious! I will try it!
:~D

Kelly the Kitchen Kop said...

Keep in mind, though, that "fat-free" almost always means it is super unnatural with a long list of strange ingredients. Please look into this more and you'll realize that healthy fat is GOOD for us. We whip real cream to make whipped cream. It tastes so much better and has nutrients in the cream, too. Healthy fats help our immune system. We eat lots of butter around here and don't get sick.

Anonymous said...

Can this be made in a stainless steel whipped cream dispenser like they use at Starbuck's ?

Thanks
D

Beth S said...

I made this tonight using strawberry extract instead of vanilla and am using it on angel food cake and strawberries tomorrow for fat free double strawberry shortcake! YUMMY!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela